By Angela Wittman - Posted at "For Christ's Crown and Covenant!"
Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice: and let men say among the nations, The Lord reigneth.(1 Chron. 16:31, KJV)
I recently entered into a discussion with some well-meaning conservatives about pluralism in America. The general consensus appears to be that they want pluralism and believe that having a poly-theistic nation is desirable. What surprises me is that they say they want America to return to her Christian roots, but also believe that people of all religious faiths should have freedom to worship their false gods. Perhaps I am just an old-fashioned puritan at heart, but this view of “freedom” by honoring multi-gods sounds double-minded to me. My hope and prayer is the conservatives who believe this will think a little harder and dig a little deeper into Scripture and see that their thinking is not founded on the Rock called Christ Jesus, nor is true liberty to be found anywhere but in Christ Jesus alone, who is an exclusive and jealous God.
On page 257, in the appendix of the book “Explicitly Christian Politics: The Vision of the National Reform Association” edited by William O. Einwechter and published by The Christian Statesman Press is a section titled “The Scriptures Teach that Christ Is the Ruler of Nations.” Let’s take a look at these six points with Scripture references that give us the confidence to believe that Jesus Christ is the One who rules the nations, including America:
1. Jesus Christ, as Mediator, has all power and universal dominion committed to Him, which must include authority over nations (Matt. 28:18; Jn. 5:22-23; Acts 10:36; 1 Cor. 15:27; Phil. 2:9-11).
2. Various titles are given to Christ as Ruler of nations (Ps. 22:28; Isa. 33:22; Jer. 10:6-7; 1 Tim. 6:14-15; Rev. 1:5; 17:14; 19:16).
3. Christ actually rules as King of nations by punishing them for their violations of His law (Psa. 2:1-5; 9:17; 110:1-2, 5-6; Isa. 60:12; Rev. 2:27; 19:11-15).
4. Christ rewards nations that obey Him as their Ruler (Deut. 28:1-14; Ps. 2:12; 33:12;144:11-15).
5. Christ provides for the pardon of nations that confess and forsake their sins (Lev. 26:40-42; 1 Ki. 8:33-34; Jer. 18:7-8; Jonah 3:5-10).
6. The Scriptures foretell the day when all nations shall acknowledge and obey Christ as their Ruler, and shall be blessed under His glorious reign (Ps. 22:27; 72:8, 11, 17;86:9; Isa. 2:2-4; Dan. 7:13-14, 27; Rev. 11:15).
With such glorious truth as this, who can desire for there to be any other God worshipped and acknowledged but the true King of the nations? Come now, let us repent of our error and bow before the only Lord and Saviour – King Jesus. Perhaps He is calling you right now (at this very moment!) to bow your heart before Him and ask Him to be your ONLY Lord and Saviour? Please don’t delay... Submit to Jesus Christ as Lord and King and enjoy Him forever. Amen
His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed. (Psalm 72: 17, KJV)
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. (Isaiah 2:2, KJV)
And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. (Rev. 11:15, KJV)
Originally published in February of 2010.